Thursday, July 18, 2013

The Fall...



I was very excited when Ados invited me to show at their gallery in Transylvania. I loved the gallery, the theme and the sim overall, and it fit my usual themes of dark fantasy in general. This time however I  was pondering what I would present, and I was told I had a large show space, with the ability to show my work any way I wanted, which was daunting as well as thrilling!
So, I decided to explore the concept of our humanity and how we fell, so to speak, when Even chose to take that apple from the Tree of Knowledge in the Christian, Western Theological tradition.
I am an eternal optimist, and my take on it was that Eve was not a sinner. She was courageous. She may have disobeyed but she did so because she wanted knowledge, and everyone knows that once we have acquired knowledge, there is no going back to being blissfully ignorant.
Knowledge is power.
Knowledge is strength.
And the fact that it was a woman who dared to defy the Creator is even more  significant to me. In a world where women are still struggling for education and basic human rights around the world, I applaud Eve for taking that apple. I do not take the fact that she did so in shame.
Women with knowledge and in positions of power are strong.
And that scares people. That scares those in positions of power, that scares governments, that scares the narrow-minded, the bigots and the ignorant.
There are too many instances where women are vilified in religions, told they are the ones who need to be kept in check, to be kept away from society, to be kept ignorant so that they do not realize their own self worth.
With my show I try, in a very rudimentary way, to show that the power of the female force in our world and the world beyond. In my images I hope to show that there is beauty in the female, in her knowledge of herself and her sexuality and that when women are allowed to blossom, the whole world blossoms.
Peace ;)
xoxo
Tess
your taxi to the Cultural Center

No comments:

Post a Comment